November 12, 2010

Smile - Even when it Hurts

I'm sitting at Starbucks on a beautiful blue sky day waiting to start a job and I can't help but notice different people and they're social and interpersonal behavior... especially the contrast between those who are smiling and those who are not...

"holding a grudge is like feeding yourself poison and expecting the other person to die from it."
 (thanks Calla)

The difference one smile can make is subtle but it's power is exponential. It can be hard to do if you're having a bad day, but logic tells me if you can make others feel better, even with a light smile, you'll feel better sooner.

If you want to sulk or be grumpy that is a problem and I consider we all think twice about the energy we carry because it factors into everything you do. Also how you start the day greatly affects the rest of your day so try to start off on a good note!



One thing I used to do when I was feeling down, is I would get REALLY down, and I would get super angry (in private!) to the point I realized that level of anger is irrational and even humorous, so the contrast would leave me smiling and filled with a joy that took a little conscious effort to release. There is a Taoist practice called the inner smile, and its basically keeping a state of joy on the inside, but the first steps to practicing it actually start by forcing yourself to physically smile because it reprograms your mind to be more positive.

There are a number of health (or quasi-health) benefits like the release of endorphins and lowering stress and blood pressure levels, so the next time you're feeling the knife edge of life piercing your soul, wield one of the most powerful weapons you have at your disposal, your very own smile. (Please holster your gun if you thought I was going to recommend going postal)

If you liked this article please share it on facebook or twitter using the buttons below. Thanks!

9 comments:

Roseanne Tan said...

I totally agree. *smiles* :D

Anonymous said...

This definitely helped me reprogram my mind to be more positive...
Awesome energy there Andrew! :)

David

Andrew Aviles said...

I feel the positivity, :D, thanks for coming by.

Unknown said...

i had the same problem and also realized how self-destructive (and other-destructive) it could be.

"holding a grudge is like feeding yourself poison and expecting the other person to die from it."

i'm not sure who i am quoting, but it's so true! it's not just holding grudges about offensive people but about having any kind of grudge at all. poison!

i love smiling at people who seem angry/unhappy/negative and seeing surprise in their eyes become a glimmer of hope/happiness. =]

Andrew Aviles said...

That is a great quote calla. I am going to add it to my post if that's ok. :D

Delaney said...

retweeted, my love. Simple but good advice! Also, when the crap did you get a job at starbucks?

kittymonkey said...

It's so true. I do my best to keep a smile, and greet most everyone with it. I'm glad you are putting these ideas out there. I was raised with an acute awareness of how my behavior affects other people. While this has made me a bit too sensitive at times, I am glad for it, because it has allowed me to make deep meaningful connections with people, and has taught me better than any religion ever could, that people respond to positive attitudes, and they take a bit of it away with them.

Andrew Aviles said...

@Delaney - Thanks and I don't work at starbucks, I had a temp job in Pasadena :D

@kittymonkey - yes, do not let go of that. I've been accused of being too sensitive, it actually brought me down but I'm just going to embrace that part of me because it's done more good for me than harm.

Unknown said...

people aren't used to sensitivity. =(

but that's okay! =D

yay, thanks for using the quote! =]