February 20, 2011

Slow Carb Diet 30 Days Results

The Slow Carb Diet has been getting a lot of buzz since Tim Ferris's new book came out. If you are unfamiliar, you can read about the diet here: link

The purpose of the Slow Carb Diet is to lose weight. I am 5'10 and weighed about 181 when I started and did very light exercise, just 20 minutes of cardio or running twice a week. Following is a list of my observations while being on the diet:

  • I was dependent on sugar before the diet
  • I really missed eating bread, so I included a low carb bread
  • Cheat days sound awesome until you actually do them
  • This is one of the cheapest meal plans ever
  • Being creative with food ideas and seasonings is helpful

Slow Carb Diet VS  My Everyday Eating

My meals were essentially 2 eggs for breakfast, beans and tuna for lunch, fish and veggies for dinner, and the only eating out that seemed possible was veggie bowls from Chipotle, since the only meat I eat is usually fish.

My biggest take-away is how much less dependent I am on sugar. The diet was really helpful in that NO sugar or starchy food was allowed (except once a week). Also, since the diet was so consistent day in and day out, it was easy to measure the effects that other foods had on my body.

The results!
While following a slow carb diet, I dropped from 181 to 175 with very little exercise.

I felt sick at times. It is most likely from not getting enough calories, but I got tired of the food I was eating day in and day out too. If you are vegetarian the diet is still very possible, but if you are a meat eater this diet shouldn't be much of an issue for you since you have a good range of meals to choose from. Since I only eat fish, I felt very limited at times, especially eating out.

Is a slow carb diet right for you?
I would recommend doing the diet if you want to lose some weight quickly. I feel like it's almost balanced; it's good to be getting enough protein and vegetables which are the staples in this diet. Occasional fruit and starchy foods can be wholesome too though, but maybe in moderation after following the diet for awhile. I feel like I have more energy since I've been eating more carbs (I added oatmeal and some bread back into my diet) but again that might be do the increase in calories and working out regularly again.

If you have experiences with doing a slow carb diet, please share your thoughts. Many people come by these posts and your experience can help them out as well.

1 comment:

DreamRiver said...

Life is just not worth living without carbs. Like you said, carbs in moderation work the best for me. If I cut them out completely, I end up wanting and eating more than just indulging a little.