October 22, 2010

Killer Coffee- 3 Healthy Sources of Energy

While there has been research showing newborn infants dying from their mother's dependence on caffeine and how caffeine can prolong the life of cancer cells, I'm mostly trying to address coffee as a daily stimulant for energy and some seemingly obvious alternatives. I personally enjoy coffee, the taste, aroma, and feeling of drinking coffee can keep me burning the midnight oil... BUT, the amount of caffeine can be overbearing for the steady energy a student really needs.


CAFFEINE 
per 8 oz.

Coffee - 100 mg
Monster - 80mg
Redbull - 80mg
Soda - 45 mg
Tea - 30mg


It supposedly takes about 350 mg of caffeine a day to become physically dependent on it. I have been in this state before, getting minor headaches and feeling groggy for up to a couple days. Life feels like a drag. I would still be able to function but would be irritable and distracted. I  can assure you it is NOT normal to feel that way, it is not just one of those days... chances are if you've been ingesting these amounts of caffeine and you feel irritable on some days, you are physically dependent as well.

This short list might seem cliche but it could really be put into practice more often...

1. Exercise! 
This is so crucial to feeling energetic. It stimulates the mind and body, ramps up metabolism, helps control weight, and ultimately gives you a clear and substantial amount of daily energy. I saw a health poll on Facebook asking for peoples number one health goals and the answer by far was "Exercise more often." It's time you shut up and get up! The more you think about it the less likely you are to do it... keep an exercise journal to hold yourself accountable and remember that the key is routine.

2. Drink Tea
I heard a joke once, that in China no one drinks water, just tea. It's not really much of a joke though. Consider this; We drink water that is stripped of it's mineral value in the west, it has been termed "dead water." In parts of Asia, instead of drinking reverse osmosis dead water, they enrich it with the minerals and antioxidants in tea. Plus 30mg of caffeine is a lot milder and you're less likely to build a dependence on caffeine.

3. Sleep on a regular schedule... err... rest more!
This is sometimes impossible for students. It is a notorious fact that students often get little sleep. We are faced with projects, papers, outside work, family obligations, social lives... I sometimes find myself literally amazed when I sleep 8 hours.

If you can not get a solid 8 hour sleep, consider improving your resting abilities. De-stress, take breaks, power nap, or even try out a polyphasic sleep schedule. I've done this on temporary terms, but If you exercise more and consider consuming less caffeine, your body will start to balance it's resting habits and you'll have more energy during your usual up time.

Will you continue drinking coffee? I will continue to drink coffee periodically but no where near the caffeine-dependent levels I found.

14 comments:

Marissa said...

I rarely drink coffee, but I found this information rather informative and helpful. On the days I'm at school for 12 hours I find it hard to make it through my last class. I've started to drink coffee twice a week, which isn't bad, but I don't enjoy not being able to fall asleep once I get home.

kittymonkey said...

I drink coffee daily, and I don't really worry about it. I limit it to one cup most days, and I exercise regularly. I have found that since exercise has become a part of my routine, I have far more energy than when I led a more sedentary lifestyle.
I've always wanted to get into Tea. I just love coffee too much to give it up forever.

Andrew Aviles said...

Yeah Marissa, I got in car accident driving home from school while being completely drained. Coffee feels like a two edged sword to me, it can be helpful or it can bring me down.

Kittymonkey, I love coffee too, but tea is taking over my rituals, it's not as rich of an experience but I recommend it, also not all tea is created equal. :)

Roseanne Tan said...

I don't know if I'll truly be able to let go of coffee. been trying to stay away from it too recently, but im dreading the coming days of finals that would totally push me back to caffeine.

MakotoArt said...

While the caffeine is a problem there is something to be said for its antioxidant properties. Also caffeine can work to fight off hunger pains and help get through rigorous exercise. Even though I probably drink coffee to often these are some of the things I consider when drinking it.

Pathsounds said...

I've known about this for a while and stopped, but now I just do it periodically too. It's known to really overwork the adrenals, when we could alternatively be boosting them with something else. But this is a really key topic to drive home to the college community and the world so, I'll definitely be sharing this.

Unknown said...

the aromatic scent and rich flavor of coffee are alluring attributes. however, i only occasionally indulge in a cup of coffee. tea is more my cup of tea. =P i do not rely on caffeine to keep me awake.

the number one on your list, exercise, is really what keeps me going. i feel super lethargic if i don't maintain my regular work-out routine. in addition, a healthy diet is integral to a balanced body. i didn't take my supplemental vitamins for two weeks, and all i've been feeling is hungry and exhausted, even when i haven't over-exerted myself.

i work hard to stay on a regulated sleep schedule, but my roommates...ahem. xP i've heard from three doctors that it's important you get to bed early because your liver does its self-cleansing around 11pm. if you're not asleep by then, the cleansing isn't as intensive, and, therefore, your body cannot purge itself of all the toxins you've exposed yourself to, including things like caffeine. i don't know how authentic this advice is (it may merely be a way to scare some people into bettering their sleeping habits). i do believe, however, that a routine sleeping schedule is good for the body. as soon as i go off my sleeping schedule, my skin is affected. i get pimples, and my pores are really visible. i also feel super-cranky and the opposite of effective when it comes to focusing and completing my goals for the day.

good tips, andrew jen! you've listed some great alternatives for college-types. =]

LINEAGE said...

haha you catch me for the first time on this one, usually i dont drink coffe, by that i mean never in my whole life... and one day this week i drank 1.. then 2.. then 3... now im drinking just 1 coffe with raw chocolate and honey a day :)

DreamRiver said...

...but our water is not dead. It has all kinds of nasty in it lol.

Tea is a good exchange for coffee, but I love coffee, and a little has health benefits too.

You've come a long ways from mac and cheese and hot dogs.

Andrew Aviles said...

Yeah I think a little coffee is ok too, just wanted to raise awareness of it's properties.

I saw a commercial for a new classier mac and cheese, I have to say it looked pretty tempting! :D

Drey-Drey said...

This really helped. The caffeine measurements helped me reflect on my intake!

Ali said...

I just got back from the U.S and I have to say, everyone there (my relatives) have so much coffee - it ended up I had coffee a few times a week.

Normally I drink tea, so that was a huge step for me - and now that im back, i cant even drink tea because i feel so full off caffeine..

so yeah, its good to have coffee once in a while, but i think taking time out from foods and drinks you love is also good for you.

Ali @ Humancure.com

Anonymous said...

is that the average caffeine content of most coffee beans? because i doubt all types of coffees are similar in caffeine potency. also the chemical compositions of redbull and monster in combination with caffeine actually catalyze its stimulating effects, thereby rendering such products more detrimental to one's health. (Meurer-Grimes et al., 1998)

Andrew Aviles said...

No, it was an average estimate of caffeine content. Also the brewing process can change caffeine content as well, but I'm talking about a pretty "standard" cup of coffee.

Thanks for the info. I will look into the chemicals that catalyze those soft drinks health determents. I'm assuming their chemical cocktail plus all the sugar should be an obvious clue to avoid drinking them.